How to Make Sourdough Bread with Coffee Flour (Vegan Recipe)
Updated: Mar 6, 2019
Are you a coffee enthusiast? Do you love sourdough bread? If so, we have the best combo for you: the coffee sourdough bread. Bonus: on top of being delicious, this coffee sourdough bread is vegan. What's not to love?
50g sourdough starter culture
45g bread flour
5g coffee flour
Sourdough bread ingredients:
360g bread flour - could be wheat
40g coffee flour
250g water - and 30g kept in separate container
First step: Make the Leaven
- Mix the sourdough starter culture with the bread flour, the coffee flour and the water.
- Let it sit at room temperature for 3 to 6 hours until doubled in size.
Second step: Mix Ingredients
- Mix the bread flour with the coffee flour.
- Add the leaven and 250g of water to the flours and mix well.
- Let the mixture rest for 30 minutes with a wet towel on top (autolyse process). In the meantime, dissolve the salt in 30g of water.
- After 30 minutes, add the salt water to the mixture.
Third Step: Stretch & Fold
The next step consists in letting the dough rest at room temperature for a total time of 3 to 4 hours. During the first 2 hours of the resting time, it's important you regularly stretch and fold the dough - preferably 3 to 4 times every 30 minutes. Here's how to stretch and fold:
- Every 30 minutes, grab a piece of the dough and stretch it out, then fold it back over the dough.
- Turn the bowl 90 degrees and repeat the stretch and fold process a total of 4 times.
Every time you stretch and fold, the dough will gain extra gluten structure and become more elastic.
Fourth Step: Creating Tension
- After the initial proofing time of 3 to 4 hours, scrap the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Fold the dough like an envelope, allowing air to be trapped within the bread.
- Now, with both hands, drag the dough towards yourself from the top.
- Turn the dough 90 degrees and repeat.
This process creates tension on the top surface.
Fifth Step: Overnight Proofing
- Take the dough (formed into the desired shape) and place it in a basket.
- Let the dough proof overnight in the fridge.
- Get some sleep.
Sixth Step: Baking the Bread
- Preheat the oven to 250°C and place a dutch oven/pot in the oven.
- When the oven is ready: take the pot out, place the dough in the pot and bake for 25 minutes with the lid on.
- After 25 minutes, take the lid off and bake for another 20 minutes at 230°C.
- Take the bread out of the oven and let it cool down for approximately 30 minutes.
Final Step: Enjoy!
This recipe was developed by Casper Hermansen, Fermentation Specialist at Kaffe Bueno.
Interested in buying coffee flour for your business, restaurant or bakery? Click here.